Saturday, January 31, 2009

Doesn't Matter Whether You're Black or White, Only If Your Black and Gold

Greetings my esteemed followers (for right now, that means Peter and Kira). Two weeks down in Denmark with many significant events to detail and discuss, but life is about more than what happens in my universe, it's about the entire universe. The real question is, what is the center of the entire universe? From my relative viewpoint, I think it is in Tampa, Florida this weekend for the biggest game of this and any year, the Super Bowl. Traditionally, I usually just kick back with a few friends, eat a lot of food, and enjoy the game based solely on my unquestionable love for football because I have no real stock in the game. This year is different, much like 3 magical years ago. What happened back then? You ask, and I will answer. My beloved Pittsburgh Steelers (with some help from the referees and Jerramy Stevens) won Super Bowl Xtra Large and completed the quest for The One for the Thumb, meaning 5 Super Bowl Championship Rings. In essence, they became one of the best football franchises ever, and quite possibly the best overall sports franchise based on number of championships, fan love, revenue, and many other factors. I try not to live in the past, so lets venture back to 2009, a great year so far. My extremely successful Pittsburgh Steelers are the favorite (by 7 points, which is huge) to win Super Bowl XLIII against the usually much-maligned 9-7 Arizona Cardinals. I say much-maligned because they've never been to a Super Bowl, before this year, had not won a playoff game since 1998, and haven't won a whole championship in 60, count em, 60 years. I could break down the entire game and give u a multitude of reasons why my Steelers will be the only football franchise with 6 SB trophies, cementing the legacy of guys like Big Ben Roethlisberger (that’s spelled right) and Hines Ward (best overall receiver in the game, I will debate people on that topic). I am not gonna do that though, cause I know Peter and guys into manly things like football would enjoy that, but Kira and other female fans might get discouraged if I continue on that path, so that’s a no go. I will say that I think they will cover that point spread and win because the NFL and the world does not want to see the Cardinals win; it's bad for business with the continuingly-struggling economy and despite people's love of parody, dynasties could be seen as better in sports. Pittsburgh, my home town, I love you and everyone in it. I know that Black and Gold pride can never be wiped away, so I am gonna do whatever I can to show off my pride here in Denmark. Please bring a 6th trophy home, and I will always remember where I was when history was made.

Now, back to the Danish portion of the program. After the Friday night club experience, which was fun but their goddamn drinks were too weak, I had a Saturday HC Andersen and Kierkegaard tour. I learned about olden-day Copenhagen and gained a greater appreciation of the time period and these two men. They were quite the people, and they deserve what they received as great authors, great Danes (not the dogs, no facetious behavior on this one), and great men. That appreciation was further stretched when we went to La Glace, I believe is the name, and had hot chocolate and cake, which was so packed with sugar it woulda made Candyland look like Sour City. Anyway, after that, me, Doc Tom, and a few other new guys ventured out to a stop I thought was going to be on the tour, the Little Mermaid Statue (Andersen created the legend). It was a long journey, but we managed to navigate the tough Danish streets to make it to our destination (came out with great pics, which can be viewed online on Facebook). That was the end of that day, which leads to my Fredericksborg Castle expedition on Sunday. I partook in this adventure with Mr. FistyBitches Joseph, Ms. Byrk, and Ms. Nightingale on a chilly, downcast Sunday afternoon (everyday is kinda like that here). When we arrived, the castle and the interior were magnificent (pics also on Facebook), but there was no sunlight and we could not take pictures of the oil paintings with our flash on (I know damaging a 400-year-old painting would be bad, but wouldn't it be a funny story to tell someone?), so in essence, my pictures look dark and undistinguishable in some cases, but it was lined with art, shields, and so much elegance and history. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture most of it due to battery failure (I was responsible and brought extras, but to no avail). Anyways, it was a great experience and the four of us made a pact to go back when it is nicer out (I have no idea if that will happen in the next 3 1/2 months, but heres hoping).

After that magical weekend, a full week of class began, well not full for me because one class doesn’t start for a whole nother week and one class got the week off so my professor could go skiing in the Alps (I'm getting repaid for that with a group presentation that is hard to figure out). Anyways, everything went smoothly, I had no class on Wednesday, which was amazing. I enjoyed the Chinese New Year with Chinese food and a Chinese movie (One guy asked if I celebrate the Chinese New Year often at home, because I apparently look Asian. Is that true?). Thursday was the kicker day, cause two things happened that stood out. In Business Strategy Class, we were allowed to run for a class representative position, and there were 2 of them. I ran against two other people, so the odds were good that I would get picked. I am asked how I would best serve that position, and I "wung it" like I am apt to do and said I like to talk and I can complain about almost anything, I am a big bag of hot air. I thought that would get me noticed by the class and help me stand out, but that plan backfired. The other two people said the same thing, "Uh, I'm very approachable and I can voice an opinion and I can relate to the students." (Quick side note: we all can relate to the students because, buh buh da buh (theme music), WE'RE ALL STUDENTS!!!) Anyway, I know that the Danish people and I share a common sense of humor, but apparently people from America outside Gettysburg, not so much. (I don't think they got that I was kidding, wink wink nudge nudge). Second occurrence, I was eating with Kira at the DIS building (pastries, which is a common thing and will hopefully gain me some weight) and all of a sudden, it gets graveyard silent, which Kira and I notice immediately. The silence made me angry, so I coughed in a loud and obnoxious tone to break this palpable hue of nothing, and people looked at me like I coughed up an exploding nuclear bomb. (I don't know if you've had like 42 sets of daggers trained on you at one time, but it makes you nervous and gives u a sense of accomplishment). It was so fun, and another example about how other Americans need to get the hint that its sarcasm I spew from my mouth everyday. Jesus people!

So, I now have to look forward to another week of work, which includes a field study and then a short study tour to Western Denmark right after. (I was excited to go on these tours, and then I realized I have to pack sheets for the trip and I can't pack a sleeping back because they are not allowed everywhere. Am I crazy, or is that the lamest thing of all time?) It will not be an exciting blog next week, I don't think, but I'll either have a celebratory tone or a devastatingly-depressed tone in my writing (tied to the football game, which I intend to watch all-nite here and go to class in the morning ecstatic in victory or wallowing in defeat). We've come to the quote portion of the blog, which is going to be the title actually, because it was the best thing I heard this week. It comes from a man named Dave Dameshek, who has a podcast for ESPN and is a diehard Steelers fan. He was on a podcast known as The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons, an accomplished sportswriter also on ESPN. Throughout the course of their session, Dameshek is building up his case for a Steelers victory on Sunday, and he gets sick and tired (as do I) of people denigrating Ben Roethlisberger (spelled right) for not having gaudy passing statistics like douchebags Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. He compares him interracially to Daunte Culpepper, another big mobile quarterback who isn't statistically-inclined in the passing game either, who happens to be black. Simmons says hes glad he made that comparison cause it isn't done very often, and Dameshek says, "You know Bill, I don't care if you're black or white, only if your black and gold." That made the week.

Goodbye, and God Bless......................................................................................the Steelers (Those select few who support the Black and Gold at G-burg, you better be working your asses off). PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment